Easy Banana Bread Recipe
This is an easy banana bread recipe. It has a light texture and a rich caramel taste.
It is the only banana bread I have baked which doesn’t sink substantially as it cools.
- 120gm (4.2 oz) butter
- 120gm (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300gm (2 cups) self raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 heaped tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 cup golden syrup or treacle for a richer taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30mls (1 fluid oz) coffee – a normal coffee machine shot
- 400 gm very ripe bananas – mashed
Preheat the oven to 150C (300F) degrees. Grease and line a large loaf tin with paper and hang the paper over the sides to assist with removal.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer (which takes approximately 5 minutes, the colour will change to light brown)
- Add eggs and beat well until combined (The mixture may seem curdled)
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and bicarb and continue to mix until just combined.
- Mix mashed bananas, golden syrup or treacle, vanilla and coffee together and then add to the mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into a LARGE greased and lined loaf tin
- Bake for 60mins or until set – check about half way through and turn the tin if the bread is browning unevenly.
Store in the fridge for up to a week but serve at room temperature with cream, ice-cream or yoghurt and maybe some fresh strawberries.