Davidson’s Plum Jam Recipe
See my post on Davidson’s Plums
500 gm Davidson’s Plums
500 gm sugar
One large green apple
juice of half a lemon
½ a vanilla pod – split open
Packet of pectin on standby (eg: Jamsetta)
- Wash the plums in a sieve to remove any dust or dirt. Cut the plums in half and remove the two small seeds. Then chop the plums into quarters. Wear gloves if you don’t want to end up with nasty purple fingernails.
- Peel and core the apple and chop it finely, or grate it.
- Put the plums, apple, lemon juice and sugar into a saucepan and add just enough water to stop the bottom layer from burning (approximately 50mls) – no more or it will take too long to reduce.
- Bring the water to a simmer slowly, stirring all the time to ensure that the sugar is dissolved before the liquid starts boiling.
- Add the vanilla pod.
- Put a small saucer in the freezer to chill
- Leave on a gentle simmer for 1-2 hours until the mixture has thickened and reduced. Test the jam by dropping a teaspoonful on the frozen saucer – it should almost immediately thicken.
- Sometimes, if the plums are not very ripe or particularly watery, the jam will not set, rather than use more sugar I will add some pectin. Follow the instructions on the packet.
- Allow to cool slightly and then spoon into sterilized jars.